What Selection Links Is?
It is said to be an add-on but turn out to be a nuisance that refuses to be deleted easily. It is a highly-risky item programmed by spammer to compromise your precious machine by frequently giving out promoting ads for fake anti-virus programs or containing hyperlinks to poisoned sites and commercial pages. Don’t simply consider selection links ads as an annoying pop up or a pushy add-on, because you are unable to get rid of selection links by accessing Control Panel, add-on/ extension tab of your browser and resorting help from installed anti-virus program or other uninstall tools.
Tested by Tee Support Lab and reports from victims, we know that selection links pop up can result in the following problems:
- Overall computer running speed is sliced down significantly;
- Some files/folders cannot be deleted thoroughly and error messages come up;
- Installed anti-virus program keeps giving out potential warnings and outgoing access when PC user surfs the Internet;
- When try to open up a new page, another new tab is always opening up.
When in, registry entries and files of selection links has made the computer impaired, hence the computer is much more susceptible to virus in the wild especially redirect malware. If one doesn’t hurry up to uninstall selection links malware immediately, one could allow unsolicited access from third party by self and would encounter the scene that some characteristics are typed automatically when you are not actually touching the keyboard. To avoid the mess with various virus in and information theft, you are welcome to follow the steps.
2 Efficient Removal Solutions
Solution A: Remove Selection Links Manually1. Disable any suspicious startup items.
For Windows XP:
Click Start menu -> click Run -> type: msconfig in the search bar -> open System Configuration Utility -> Disable all possible startup items including those of selection links.
a) open Control Panel from Start menu and search for Folder Options;
b) under View tab to tick Show hidden files and folders and non-tick Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) and then click OK;
c) click on the “Start” menu and then click on the “Search programs and files” box, Search for and delete these files created by selection links:
3. Delete all registry values related to selection links in your local hard disk C.
- HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run |Regedit32
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\”Shell” = “[random].exe”
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\CustomizeSearch=[site address]
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Search Bar=[site address]
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\LowRegistry\DontShowMeThisDialogAgain
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\[random]
your browser and default some browser settings:
1) Go to Tools -> ‘Manage Add-ons’;
2) Choose ‘Search Providers’ -> choose ‘Bing’ search engine or ‘Google’ search engine and make it default;
3) Select ‘Search Results’ and click ‘Remove’ to remove it;
4) Go to ‘Tools’ -> ‘Internet Options’; select ‘General tab’ and click website, e.g. Google.com. Click OK to save changes.
1) Click on ‘Customize and control’ Google Chrome icon, select ‘Settings’;
2) Choose ‘Basic Options’;
3) Change Google Chrome’s homepage to google.com or any other and click the ‘Manage Search Engines…’ button;
4) Select ‘Google’ from the list and make it your default search engine;
5) Select ‘Search Result’ from the list to remove it by clicking the ‘X’ mark.
1) Click on the magnifier’s icon and select ‘Manage Search Engine…’;
2) Choose ‘Search Results’ from the list and click ‘Remove’ and OK to save changes;
3) Go to ‘Tools’ -> “Options”. Reset the startup homepage or change it to google.com under ‘General tab;
2. Disable proxy
- Click on Tools on the menu bar
- select Internet options
- go to Connections tab
- select LAN settings at the bottom of the dialog
- under the Proxy sever, untick 'use a proxy server for your LAN (These settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections).'
- Click OK
Note: If you think the manual removal is complicated and you really want to be a lazy guy, no worries, there is still a perfect solution for you - Download and Install Spyhunter to Remove Selection Links Automatically. The most powerful antivirus program Spyhunter can remove Selection Links just like hands down for you.
Solution B: Remove Selection Links automatically (with SpyHunter)
Step A. Download removal tool SpyHunter
1) Click here or the icon below to download SpyHunter automatically.
2) Follow the instructions to install SpyHunter
Step B. Run SpyHunter to block Selection Links
Run SpyHunter and click "Malware Scan" button to scan your computer, after detect this unwanted program, clean up relevant files and entries completely.
Step C. Restart your computer to take effect.